Sunday, March 15, 2009

WTF is going on in America

So I know that the whole world is in what many call the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, but what are people doing? I follow the news pretty regularly overseas, and from a distance I so I really only see the media’s responses. In general, they are pretty fluffy in my opinion. The first real, widespread and widely publicized response that caught my eye was Jon Stewart. This is not surprising, as he was one of the first people in the media to start talking about Bush’s massive mistakes and daily hypocrisy. His roasting of CNBC has been so pointed, so spot on, and oh so funny cause its true. Yet it leaves me with one question…

How can regular Americans not be absolutely furious with Wall Street Bankers and high level CEO’s today? I don’t understand it. We blame the government for trying to save the capitalist system, but when it comes to the investment banks shelling out millions of dollars to idiots and criminals, that’s ok? And while some of them might be decent people (I have my doubts), they are certainly all idiots or criminals because they must fit into one of the two categories below:

a.       They got paid millions of dollars to not understand the market and lose more money in a year than many countries have as their GDP. Or

b.      They manipulated the market to make as much personal money as possible and then screw over the companies they worked for by leaving them with the bill.

There is no letter C here. That’s it. They either weren’t as smart as they claimed to be (and were paid to be) or they were, and scammed us all out of billions of dollars. Why aren’t people angry? If people understand that the government needed to give them money to fix the system, why aren’t people grabbing pitchforks and torches and walking to New York City? AIG is giving their executives 100 million dollars worth of bonuses? I don’t know, maybe I just get angry too easily, but I can’t wrap my head around this stuff. I would think that there would be people trying to get either legal claims against these guys or try to harass them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment